Stó:lō Service Agency – Human Resource Office
Bldg. # 8A – 7201, Vedder Road, Chilliwack, B.C., Canada, V2R, 4G5
Tel. (604) 858-3366
S’ólh Téméxw Guardian (EXTERNAL)
Stó:lō Service Agency (SSA) requires the services of 2 (two) S’ólh Téméxw Guardians to fill a vacancy within the Stó:lō Research and Resource Management Centre (SRRMC) Department.
The S’ólh Téméxw Guardian is a motivated and collaborative individual, dedicated to advancing Stó:lō-led Indigenous stewardship of the land, water, and the natural and cultural resources within S’ólh Téméxw (Stó:lō traditional lands; the lower Fraser River watershed). The S’ólh Téméxw Guardian acts on behalf of the 17 Stó:lō First Nations of the S’ólh Téméxw Stewardship Alliance (www.thestsa.ca).
This position is primarily outdoors on the land and water. Work will include environmental monitoring and enforcement linked to Stó:lō policies and regulatory processes, natural and cultural heritage stewardship, recreation management and relations, cross-cultural awareness, research support, and Indigenous Monitoring for development projects including the Trans Mountain Expansion Project.
These positions will report to the Guardians Supervisor within the SRRMC’s Land Stewardship Unit. The successful candidate will work out of the Central (Chilliwack) office.
- Relevant work or study experience in environmental monitoring, environmental studies, geography, land stewardship planning, fisheries, forestry, heritage studies, or a related field.
- Strong communication skills.
- Willing and able to work outdoors in different weather conditions and challenging terrain.
- Experience working collaboratively in a team setting.
- Ability to follow directions as well as work independently.
- Proficient computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to work irregular work hours, including 12-hour construction monitoring shifts and on evenings and weekends, as may be required from time to time.
- General understanding of Stó:lō culture, traditions, history, and current land/resource issues, and dedication to learning more.
- Good organizational, time-management skills, judgement, reasoning, and decision-making skills.
- Good observational and problem-solving skills to proactively identify hazards and ensure safety of self and others.
- Ability to respond effectively in emergency or major incident situations.
- Ability to manage conflict and effectively work with individuals who may be potentially agitated, upset, or demanding.
- Ability to collect data in the field and write detailed field activity reports.
- Ability to use radios, smart phones, tablets, InReach, and GPS, or a willingness to learn.
- Ability to operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, vehicles, and equipment, or a willingness to learn.
- Ability to work in remote backcountry situations and travel by foot, all-terrain or other vehicles, watercraft, or aircraft.
- Ability to lift and move up to 20kg.
- Ability to take part in maintenance and repair activities.
Successful candidates will be required to provide the following if screened in for an interview:
- Proof of education documentation
- References: Three names and emails of recent supervisors
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License
- Must successfully pass the required pre-employment Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Check
- Must be fully vaccinated for Coronavirus/Covid-19 with a Federally approved vaccine
- Must successfully pass drug and alcohol testing and maintain passing results as an ongoing requirement of the position
SALARY RANGE: $26.00 – $30.00 per hour based on qualifications/experience.
TYPE OF POSITION: Full-Time Annual Term with benefits, subject to 3-month probationary period.
APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: 4:00 PM, May 23, 2023
Candidates will be screened according to the qualifications/requirements. Interested candidates are required to submit a resume and covering letter. Please include position title on subject line. Send to:
Stó:lō Service Agency Personnel Department
Bldg. #8A, Floor #1 – 7201 Vedder Road
Chilliwack, BC V2R 4G5
For more information about this and other employment opportunities, visit www.stolonation.bc.ca
We regret that we will only respond to those applicants chosen for an interview. We thank all applicants for their interest.